Academic Information and Regulations

Academic Calendar

The college operates on a term system (also called a quarter system). Fall term begins in late September and ends in early December, winter term begins in early January and runs until mid-March, and Spring term begins in late March and ends in mid-June. Summer term runs from late June until late August. See


Credit Hours and Credit Loads

Generally speaking, a class that meets one hour a week for one term with an expected homework load of two hours outside of class will be a one-credit class (whether distance education or in class work). Classes that meet three hours per week with six hours of outside homework will yield three credits. Lab classes yield one credit for each two or three hours of lab time. Most classes require two hours of homework in addition to each class hour. To earn a transfer degree in two years, students should schedule an average of 15 credits per term to accumulate 90 credits in six terms. Fifteen credits translates to an average of a 45- hour work week. Students may take no more than 20 credits in any single term without advisor approval. The time required to complete a program may vary according to program preparation and class availability.

Grading System

A Excellent work; 4 quality points per credit.
B Above average work; 3 quality points per credit.
C Average work; 2 quality points per credit.
D Below average work; 1 quality point per credit.
F Failing work; 0 quality points per credit.
IN Incomplete work (not computed in GPA).
P Pass, C or above, credit earned (not computed in GPA).
W Withdrawal; no credit earned (not computed in GPA).
NP No pass; no credit earned (not computed in GPA).
AU Audit; no credit earned (not computed in GPA).
CMP Completion of a non-credit course or seminar (not computed in GPA).

Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated by dividing total quality points by total hours. (Grades not included in GPA are IN, W, P, NP, AU and repeated grades preceded by R.) Transcripts show current GPA (one term) and cumulative GPA (all classes taken at LBCC). You can obtain your grades via your WebRunner student account.

Honor Roll

If students obtain a term grade point average (GPA) of 3.50 or better with no incompletes and have completed a 12-credit load or more of graded LBCC class work (not including P/NP) for that quarter, they are placed on the Honor Roll. Students with a disability accommodation which treats fewer than 12 credits as full-time for some purposes may inquire as to eligibility if grade point average is 3.50 or higher.


The Oregon College Immunization Law requires that community college students born on or after Jan. 1, 1957, and in allied health, intercollegiate sports, or early childhood education programs receive two doses of measles vaccinations.

Academic Probation and Suspension

Linn-Benton Community College applies Academic Standing regulations to ensure student academic performance is consistent with progression toward the completion of declared degree and/or certificate requirements.

Degree seeking students registered for credit classes at the beginning of the third week of the term are subject to academic standing regulations. Students are considered to be in good academic standing if they earn a 2.0 GPA or higher each term while also maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better. Students who do not meet these requirements will be put on Academic Probation.

Good Standing Students with a term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above are considered to be in good standing.

1st Term Academic Probation Students will be placed on 1st term Academic Probation if their term or cumulative GPA drops below 2.0 (Fall 2016 and beyond). When students reach both a term and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better, they will be placed back into Good Standing.

2nd Term Academic Probation When students earn less than a 2.0 term or cumulative GPA for two consecutive terms, they are placed on 2nd term Academic Probation.

1st Term Academic Suspension Students who earn less than a 2.0 term or cumulative GPA for three consecutive terms will be placed on 1st term Academic Suspension for one term.

Students on Academic Suspension will be required to sit out for a term, or have an Academic Suspension Appeal approved to continue taking classes.

3rd Term Academic Probation When students return from sitting out for a term or from having an Academic Suspension Appeal approved, they will be eligible to enroll, but will be on 3rd term Academic Probation.

Students on 3rd term Academic Probation may also have a Registrar's hold placed on their account, which will prevent registration changes, and require them to meet with an academic advisor to create an education plan. Complete education plans should be submitted as soon as possible to the registration office in order to have the hold removed.

2nd Term Academic Suspension Students on 3rd term Academic Probation who earn less than a 2.0 term or cumulative GPA, will go on 2nd term Academic Suspension.

Students on 2nd term Academic Suspension will not be permitted to take classes for three consecutive terms unless they are making progress toward returning to good academic standing or have an Academic Suspension Appeal approved to continue taking classes. They will be eligible to enroll, but will be on 3rd term Academic Probation.

Students returning from 2nd term Academic Suspension after sitting out for three terms will be required to meet with an academic advisor and complete an Academic Suspension Appeal prior to registering for classes. Upon return, students will be placed on 3rd Term Academic Probation.  


Repeating a Class

In general, a course in which a student has earned a passing grade may not be repeated to satisfy certificate of degree requirements. Courses that may be repeated to satisfy certificate of degree requirements have a note in the course description.

Courses not designated as repeatable in catalog may only be taken twice. Enrollment in a course after a second attempt requires approval from the student's academic advisor or CFAR staff.

When a higher grade is earned in a repeated course the lowest grade will be excluded from the cumulative grade point average (CGPA). An “E” is placed on the transcript next to the grade excluded from the CGPA and an “I” next to the grade included in the CGPA calculation.

If the grades for the course are the same, the most recent course is included and the previous class excluded from the CGPA calculation.

Repeated courses are considered attempted credits and count in a student's completion rate for calculating Satisfactory Academic Progress for federal and state financial aid eligibility. The use of federal of state financial aid programs to pay for repeated courses is governed by current regulations. Students are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office prior to repeating a course.

Pass/No-Pass Option

A course designation of “OPT” indicates that students have the option of taking the course for a letter grade or on a pass/no-pass (P/NP) basis. It is the responsibility of the student to check the class schedule to determine whether a class has the P/NP option. Requests for “P” grades may be processed through the Registration Office, through the instructor or through WebRunner student accounts. It is not advisable to choose the “P” grade for major coursework within a chosen  field of study. If students are planning to transfer to a four-year institution, they should check that institution’s requirements regarding “P” grades. The maximum number of “P” credits allowed toward a degree is 16, not including those with an obligatory “P” grade.

Incomplete Rule

If students take an incomplete in a class (“IN” grade), they must complete the coursework by the end of the following term. (Students completing work for a spring term class have until the end of fall term.) If students fail to complete the work, a default grade will be received, which is usually an “F” grade. “IN” grades normally are not awarded in variable credit classes.

Graduation: Standards of Progress

 See the Graduation Requirements section of catalog.

Withdrawing from School

If a student can no longer attend classes, they should officially withdraw from their classes. Students who drop classes within the refund period may expect a tuition refund. A grade of “W” will not be recorded if the drop is processed before the drop deadline (through the second Monday of the term). A grade of “W’ will be recorded for classes withdrawn from after the refund period and before the withdrawal deadline (by the end of the 7th week). (Note: “W” grades are considered non-completion grades for academic standing and financial aid. Also see Refunds and Withdrawal Deadlines in the Schedule of Classes.)

Transferring LBCC Credits

Lower-division credits can be transferred from LBCC to most colleges throughout the United States. If a student is planning to transfer credits to another college or university, they are encouraged to work with an LBCC advisor in planning an appropriate transfer program. It is also recommended that students coordinate their plan with that institution. Information about how to obtain a transcript can be found on the Transcripts page on the website.

Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)

LBCC offers a number of options for students to earn credit based on prior learning or experience. Credit is awarded based on recognized standards and with the approval of faculty. Awarded credit is transcripted in accordance with standards established by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).

Credit By Exam

College Level Examination Program (CLEP):

LBCC awards credit for courses articulated to CLEP exams. Students who meet the score requirements must submit official scores to the LBCC Admission/Registration office to receive credit. Accepted CLEP scores and the related credit awards are published on the LBCC website. Credit is awarded in alignment with Oregon State University. Contact the Student Assessment Center in Red Cedar Hall, Room 111 or call 541-917-4781 for more information.

Credit by Challenge Exam:

Students may earn course credit by successfully completing an exam or through skill demonstration. If you believe you have mastered material presented in a course listed on LBCC’s Course Challenge List, you can register for Credit by Examination with the Student Assessment Center. To register, you must be currently enrolled in a credit class or you must have completed 12 credits at LBCC. You must register by Monday of week 2 of a term, and you must complete the examination by the end of the seventh week of that same term.

Before a Course Challenge can be taken, a nonrefundable processing fee consisting of 30 percent of the tuition per challenged course per credit hour. An additional testing fee may be required. For details about Credit by Examination, contact the Student Assessment Center in Red Cedar Hall, Room 111 or call 541-917-4781.

Advanced Placement (AP):

LBCC awards credit for courses articulated to AP exams. Students who complete college-level work in high school under the Advanced Placement Program sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board and who receive satisfactory grades (3, 4 or 5) in examinations administered by the board may, on admission to LBCC, be granted comparable credit towards a degree. Students who meet requirements must submit official scores to receive credit. LBCC follows the score and credits to be awarded as established by a statewide agreement among community colleges and public universities. Accepted AP scores and related course credit awards are published in the Advanced Placement Equivalency Table. For details about Advanced Placement, contact Admissions and Registration.

International Baccalaureate (IB):

LBCC awards credit for courses articulated to IB exams. LBCC recognizes IB achievement by awarding credit to students who score 5 or above on higher level IB exams. Students who meet requirements must submit official scores to receive credit. LBCC follows the score and credits to be awarded as established by a statewide agreement among community colleges and public universities. Accepted IB scores and related course credit awards are published in the International Baccalaureate Equivalency Table. For details about International Baccalaureate, contact Admissions and Registration.

Credit for Training and Experience

Credit for Military Training:

LBCC follows American Council of Education guidelines in awarding credit for military training. Official transcripts from respective branches of the military are required. LBCC grants up to a maximum of 25% of the credits needed for a degree or certificate programs of 45 credits or more. Students may request evaluation of military credit by furnishing the Office of Admissions with a Joint Service Transcript (JST). Service members who present a DD-214 are eligible to be awarded three physical education activity credits. Students may need to provide an official ACE transcript. Separate transcripts from the US Coast Guard can also be provided and evaluated for credit.

Credit for Professional Licensure:

Where appropriate, a professional license may replace up to 25% of the program credits toward an AAS degree or certification program of 45 credits or more. The student must meet with the program faculty to determine the appropriate courses for which the student will receive credit. 

Credit for LBCC Training:

Students in the LBCC non-credit childcare training program are eligible to earn education course credits upon successful completion of designated training. Faculty certify successful completion of the required training sequence and inform students of the option to have course credit awarded. Contact the Child and Family Studies department for information.

Student Educational Records

Transcripts and Records

Unofficial transcripts can be obtained from your WebRunner student account for free. Official student transcripts may be ordered online through your WebRunner student account, via the National Student Clearinghouse by selecting the link from the WebRunner, (you can also log onto the National Student Clearinghouse at or use our Transcript Request Form from the online Registration Forms and Applications page.

Transcripts cost $5 for the first copy and $1 for each additional copy ordered at the same time, regardless of whether they are official or unofficial. (These fees are subject to change.) It takes up to five business days to process a transcript order. Rush orders (guaranteed processing in less than five days) cost $10 for the first and $1 for each additional order placed at the same time. There is an additional $1 charge to have a transcript faxed. Students have access to transcripts and records as outlined in ‘The Student Records and Disclosure of Student Records Policy 7040.’ Official records belonging to a student who has failed to make an installment tuition payment, repay an emergency loan, or other debt or obligation to the college will not be released, either to the student or to another institution, as long as the obligation is outstanding.

Records Information

Linn-Benton Community College follows the Federal Health Education and Welfare Guidelines for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended (Pell-Buckley amendment) and the Oregon Administrative Rules regarding Privacy Rights and Information Reporting in Community Colleges in regard to educational records.

Federal legislation gives students the right to inspect and review their educational records as defined in LBCC Board Policy # 7040. If you believe your records contain information that is inaccurate, misleading or in violation of your rights, you may ask the college to amend the record. If the college denies this request, you will be informed of this decision and of your right to a hearing. Further, you may file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education by contacting the Family Policy and Regulations Office, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C. 20202.

Directory Information

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, LBCC considers the following to be directory, therefore public, information: student’s name; address; telephone listing; email; major field of study; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of sports team members; dates of enrollment; enrollment status; school or division of enrollment; and degrees and awards received. If you do not want the above information released, file a Directory Deletion Form at the Registration Office. Information will not be released without consent except as per Oregon Administrative Rules (for example, in case of federal audit).

Use and Disclosure of Social Security Number (SSN)

OAR 559-004-0400 authorizes Linn Benton Community College to request your Social Security number. The number will be used by the college for reporting, research, and record keeping. Your SSN will be provided to the Oregon Community College data reporting system (OCCURS), for state and federal reporting purposes. If taking credit courses, you are required to provide the college with your SSN in order to receive a 1098-T statement for federal educational tax benefits. OCCURS or the college may provide your Social Security number to the following agencies or match it with records from the following systems:

  • The National Student Clearinghouse, to track community college students go on with their education at different institutions.
  • The Oregon Employment Department helps state and local agencies plan education and training services to help Oregon citizens get the best jobs available.
  • The Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC), to provide reports to local, state, and federal governments. The information is used to learn about education, training and job market trends for planning, research, and program improvement.
  • The Oregon Department of Revenue and the collection agencies only for purposes of processing debts and only if credit is extended to you by the college.
  • The Internal Revenue Service for 1098-T reporting.
  • The Worker’s Compensation division to track injured worker retraining.

State and federal law protects the privacy of your records. Your SSN will be used only for the purposes above, may not be re-released by these agencies, and must be secured in accordance with federal and state requirements.

Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct

The college’s Board of Education has established policy relating to student rights, freedoms, responsibilities and due process. This policy outlines the rules for student conduct and describes the procedures for due process and for filing a complaint. See policy on the LBCC Students' Rights Responsibilities and Conduct web page. All students should read and know this policy. It sets out expectations for the LBCC Community. The form to report a concern or complaint is available at Linn-Benton Community College Incident Report Form.

Students in the LBCC/OSU Degree Partnership Program are held accountable to conduct standards at both institutions. LBCC and OSU may each intervene in cases of misconduct, particularly in issues involving health and safety. Students are given opportunity for due process; those found in violation of conduct codes may receive sanctions from each institution. Linn-Benton Community College and Oregon State University reserve the option to decide that only one institution will process a case of misconduct.

Student Consumerism Information

In accordance with 34 CFR Part 668, you have the right to know certain information about LBCC, including a variety of academic information, financial assistance information, institutional information, information on completion or graduation rates, institutional security policies and crime statistics, and financial support data. For details, see