Physical Sciences

The Physical Sciences department offers courses in astronomy, chemistry, geology, general sciences, oceanography, and physics. Most courses have laboratory sessions accompanying the lectures. Laboratory sessions are designed to provide students with hands-on experience with the scientific method.

The Associate of Science (AS) Degree is designed for students planning to transfer to Oregon State University (OSU). LBCC offers six AS degrees in the physical sciences: Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Food and Fermentation Science, General Science, Geology, and Physics. These degree programs provide a strong background in mathematics and physical sciences to students planning to transfer to OSU to complete a baccalaureate degree in chemistry, environmental sciences, food and fermentation science, general science, geology, or physics. The general science degree is appropriate for students interested in pursuing the pre-pharmacy program at OSU.

Students seeking to transfer to an institution other than OSU should pursue an AAOT degree while taking specific physical science and mathematics courses that will transfer to the student’s selected college or university. The AAOT is a general transfer degree and does not include program requirements. It is important that you identify the four-year school you plan to attend. You should review the requirements of the program you plan to study at that institution and take those classes at LBCC. You may want to work with two advisors; one at LBCC and a second at the institution you hope to attend to make sure you are taking the courses that will meet program requirements.

Program Requirements

LBCC’s physical sciences AS degrees are designed to be completed in two years if the entering student is prepared to take MTH 111 College Algebra, MTH 112 Trigonometry or MTH 251 Differential Calculus (whichever is appropriate for the chosen option), WR 121 English Composition, and CH 221 General Chemistry. If this is not the case, the student needs to allow extra time to complete this degree.

CH 221 General Chemistry, which is usually taken in the first term of each physical science degree program, requires that the student possess a basic knowledge of chemistry prior to enrolling in the course. In order to fulfill this requirement a student must either:

  • Pass a Chemistry Entrance Exam, or
  • Take a college-level chemistry course (CH 112, CH 121, or CH 150).

To schedule an entrance exam, please visit Student Assessment.